gfg

mumsnet">

Monday, 16 September 2013

A moral education

 As a home educator, I'm always asking myself - have I covered every subject thoroughly? Have I left anything essential out? But one topic that I think many educators, both schools and homes forget about now is morals. How do I raise an ethical child? How do I teach my children values, ethics and morals? Of course example is probably the most important - and kids can really call you out if your actions fail to match with your words in this. Taking time to explain and discuss issues is also crucial, there are many teaching moments throughout each day, and home education means we are there for most of them. But another wonderful, time honoured, way to teach morals and values is through stories.


This is one of my favourite quotes
One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside people.
He said, “My son, the battle is between two wolves inside us all.

“One is Evil – It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret,...
greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

“The other is Good – It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.”

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: “Which wolf wins?”

The old Cherokee simply replied, “The one you feed.”

I believe children are born basically good. But like all of us they must overcome  selfish urges and grow into good adults. As parents we need to help them feed the good Wolf.

My next post will be some of our favourite books to nourish the good within a child -  or adult.


No comments:

Post a Comment